In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The units typically used for heats of sublimation are kilojoule per mole or kilocalories per mole.
- For most people, a daily diet containing 2000 calories of energy (actually 2000 kilocalories, but never mind) is about right.
- In nearly half of these African countries, the undernourished are getting 300 kilocalories less than what they need to be healthy.
- In scientific terms, 1 calorie is a kilocalorie, which is the amount of energy required to raise 1 gram of water 1 degree Celsius.
- In the United States, energy is expressed in kilocalories or megacalories (Mcal).
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.