In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(cigarette) extralargo(bed) (extragrande) de matrimonio(hangover/problem) descomunal coloquial(problem/hangover) mayúsculo coloquial
- Other than that, there was one king-sized bed with the standard cheap motel floral comforter neatly arranged over it, two bedside lamps, and a television set that sat upon the dresser.
- And it has all the trappings of luxury including a king-size bed, luxurious bathtub in the room and a butler service.
- The locals think this is so eccentric that they persuaded the lift company to produce a king-sized all-season lift pass for him, complete with photograph, which is displayed proudly on the wall.
- There were days when Graham awoke in a satisfied mood, surrounded by satin sheets in his king-sized bed with the sun shining merrily through, held from blaring in his eyes by his forest green curtains.
- Against the southern wall was a king-sized canopy bed.
- The cells were about the size of a king-size mattress, made of mesh and metal, exposed to the relentless tropical heat, with no air conditioning.
- After a few glasses of wine, we retired to his huge, king-size bed.
- It is an object of the present invention to provide a king-sized mattress having separated head and foot portions.
- A king-sized bed dominates the Tower Suite's top floor, which provides mesmerizing views from bay windows facing three directions.
- The room we stayed in had a wonderfully comfortable king-sized bed, while the bathroom boasted a deep roll-top bath - perfect for easing all those aches and strains earned on the hills during the day.
- On the right side is a huge bedroom, with a king-sized bed that looks ready for someone to lie on it, as well as a closet and even a quite sizeable bathroom with a shower and everything.
- A flotation tank is like a huge bath, about the width and length of a king-size bed.
- I find out later, when I'm interviewing a farm workers' rights activist, that they went back to a room slightly bigger than a king-sized bed, of a mini-van.
- Our rooms also had wonderful king-size beds, while some offer spa baths.
- They come in a range of sizes, to fit a baby's crib, a king-size family bed, and everything in between.
- I can't wait to have that monster king-sized bed all to myself.
- The best suites have seafront terraces complete with king-size day beds and private rooftop terraces from which to enjoy the sunsets in sybaritic style.
- In the past, periods of excess have been followed by king-sized hangovers, and we may be in for some pain this time as well.
- They all have television and radio, tea and coffee-making facilities, a refrigerator, a safe, king-size beds and air-conditioning.
- Though it obviously wasn't Marilyn herself posing for the camera, the king-size bed she chose to lounge on was previously owned by the blonde bombshell.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.