In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1pingüino real masculinopingüino rey masculino
- The rest stay aboard a 233-foot Finnish research vessel, taking day trips to see the island's king penguins, elephant seals, and giant petrels.
- While king penguins are a sub-Antarctic species, being based on islands dotted around the continent, emperor penguins are animals of the deep south.
- Similar in size to present-day yellow-eyed or king penguins, Waimanu penguins stood about 26 to 30 inches tall.
- The king penguin feeds on fish, but specializes in eating squid.
- Although their habitat is warmer than that of emperor penguins, king penguins have four layers of feathers and huddle together for warmth.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.