In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1persona de gran influencia
- The import of his letter is that as Chairman of the Council of kingmakers, he could not provide leadership.
- Now with his foray into the electoral area, he has the makings of a political kingmaker.
- Most likely the right-wing majority calculated that their presence at the speech would have focused attention on their unprecedented role as kingmakers in the presidential contest.
- Brown & Root has long been a kingmaker in Texas politics.
- He is seen as a potential kingmaker and wields considerable power already in managing parliamentary business and pulling MSP levers on its committees.
- As a founder of the southern wing of the Republican Party, he became a presidential kingmaker and a key figure in turning courts back to the right.
- Oil exporters have become financial kingmakers as real oil prices have leapt 170 per cent in real terms since 2001 to 25-year highs.
- This turns ‘swing-voters’ into kingmakers even when they don't deserve to be.
- Fringe candidates are the new kingmakers and king-breakers.
- In recent years, the man who was once beaten down by a firestorm of criticism has transformed himself into a political kingmaker and a celebrity icon.
- Certainly he is one the party's most credible performers, but he is more likely to play the role of a kingmaker than a king.
- It was a commercial flop, but made waves with critics and industry kingmakers.
- He said it was the rights of the kingmakers to enthrone whosoever as per their tradition, and only present him formally to the administration as a collaborator in that society.
- Historians know it too as the home of Tudor kingmakers, of Georgian kings and of the artists who followed in their train.
- Can you come up with a leader of an industrialized Western nation who rose to power as the puppet of wealthy industrialist kingmakers, but turned out to be a True Believer who those kingmakers could not control?
- Labour came into the election clinging onto power by just one seat - thanks to help from the Lib Dems, who acted as kingmakers with their four councillors.
- ‘The kingmaker can kingmake as much as he likes but the chance is there to take him on now,’ said a Labour insider.
- He is targeting for at least 40 MPs so that he would not only be the kingmaker, but can become king, too.
- What the Democrats do have is a mother lode of celebrity kibitzers, hangers-on, wannabes, kingmakers, cause-stars and flirts.
- Apparently, the Kurds are the kingmakers at the moment.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.