In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1bolsa femeninoMilitar petate masculino
- All of us scheduled for that flight ate a hearty breakfast that morning, then carried our packed kitbags to the front of the hotel.
- One boy, carrying a kitbag over his shoulder in true military style, kept humming to himself as he marched along.
- According to this view, international law is but one tool in the diplomatic kitbag that can be utilized to justify politically motivated actions.
- I picked up my kitbag and marched aboard the troopship Empire Fowey, bound for Singapore and Malaya, although we did not know this at the time as it was top secret.
- His kitbag stood in the corner as he was due to return to his barracks that night.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.