In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- This more intimate area faces the yard; pushing the sliding doors to the side will fully open the kitchen-diner to the garden space and a large terrace.
- Fabulously tiled rooms, such as kitchen-diners and hallways, are transformed from practical to inviting when they're warm underfoot.
- Students living in University accommodation can take advantage of the self-catering facilities because all the flats have fully equipped kitchen-diners, and shops on campus sell a wide range of food.
- Inside, the accommodation comprises an entrance hall, sitting room, a kitchen-diner, a sun room, lobby, utility room, two bathrooms and five bedrooms.
- There are three spacious bedrooms, a lounge and a kitchen-diner so it could make a very nice family home.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.