In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(piece of work)tejido masculinopunto masculino Españawhere did I put my knitting? — ¿dónde habré dejado el tejido?
- Her sitting room with its home-made curtains and baskets of knitting and needlepoint was the warm heart of the house, attracting the others to gather in it.
- Her household was run with thrift and economy - she always made her own jam, bottled fruit, made cakes and pastry and was never without her knitting and sewing.
- Mrs Griffiths rested her knitting in her lap for a moment.
- Doreen picked up her knitting once more, the needles flashing in the lamplight and clicking rhythmically.
- Ladies have you any unfinished knitting or sewing at home?
- I've a feeling my knitting will go to the Salvation Army from now on.
- I didn't answer, just picked my knitting back up and started to stitch.
- She tucked her knitting away in her bag and stood up.
- Emily smiled at me briefly before returning to her knitting.
- Her father put his paper down and her mother laid her knitting in her lap.
- She insisted on bringing her knitting everywhere.
- Everyone immediately forgot my stunning knitting achievements and began oohing and ahhing over her knitting.
- ‘Why don't you come on in then,’ she said as she picked up her knitting.
2(activity)(yarn/wool) (before noun) de tejer(yarn/wool) (before noun) para tejerI really enjoy knitting — me encanta hacer punto España
- knitting pattern — patrón
- The greatest benefit is the companionship you'll share when engaged in the process of knitting.
- The number of women taking up knitting has doubled in the past few years, spurred not just by the desire to make something snugly for their family, but for others too.
- Traditional crafts such as knitting and lace-making have a wonderful history in Scotland.
- Erris is renowned for many things including its outstanding tradition in exquisite hand crafts like lace making, crochet, needlework and knitting.
- If you thought knitting was limited to jumpers and scarves, then think again.
- Very good with her hands, she had a particular flair for knitting and embroidery - skills borne out of necessities of growing up in early twentieth century rural Ireland.
- But how I wish I was adept at both knitting and sewing.
- I've been doing some bits of knitting and sewing, and I'll post some pictures just as soon as I get my act together.
- She was gifted with her hands and had a special talent for knitting and embroidery.
- I'm no good at sewing, but I could do some knitting.
- Those who teach kids all agree that those kids who saw their parents and grandparents knitting picked knitting up faster.
- Marjorie is a craftswoman and her knowledge of the history of knitting makes her a popular speaker at craft events.
- The Guild has organised craft classes in crochet and knitting to commence in January and they will be open to nonmembers.
- She did a lot of knitting and sewing, volunteered in her church, and sang in the choir.
- Crafts on show range from embroidery and knitting to doll making and china painting, with plenty of other weird and wonderful hobbies on offer.
- For the moment, knitting is my current hobby/addiction.
- In the mean-time I'm rediscovering the joys of knitting and having great fun in the process.
- She does all the needlework and knitting, which she says is probably the most enjoyable part.
- Often, many part-time pursuits, such as cake decorating, knitting and bookbinding, can be run from home because it saves time and money.
- I seem to have finally mastered knitting on two circular needles!
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.