In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(finger joint)nudillo masculino
- It may appear any place on your body, but it is most common on the face, eyelids, neck, chest, knuckles, knees and elbows.
- Warmth spread over his fingers while his knuckles throbbed.
- He held my hands tightly, digging his fingers into my knuckles.
- She stretched out her left hand and bent the fingers at the second knuckle.
- Joe screamed out his frustration and hit the pillar profusely with his knuckles until traces of blood appeared on the surface of his knuckles.
- Brian rubbed his thumb back and forth over my index finger knuckle, tickling me a little bit.
- The wood splintered against his knuckles as his fingers crushed through the door, his fury and anger taking hold of him.
- Raising his right hand, he laid the knuckle of his index finger against his chin.
- I smiled at him sweetly, rubbing my fingers over his knuckles.
- The first two knuckles of the middle finger bend and straighten.
- These darkening and tiny bumps are also seen on the knuckles of the fingers.
- The captain nodded, rubbing the knuckle of his index finger over his lower lip in a thoughtful manner.
- The knuckle of his index finger poked my bare hip, which I hadn't realized was bare until that point.
- It ended near her knuckles, where the snake's head was.
- He cracked his knuckles and his fingers became blurs over the keyboard.
- If you had a sore on a joint or a knuckle, you would know that constant bending would break the sore open and prevent its healing quickly.
- The knuckle of his middle finger on his right hand was larger than the one on his left.
- Her hand was soft and I ran my finger along her pale knuckles.
- Pinch the webbing between your thumb and index finger and push toward the bottom knuckle of your index finger.
- Today there's only a miniscule red patch next to the knuckle of my ring finger which isn't even sore.
2masculino codillomasculino morcillomasculino jarrete
- Dishes such as the pork knuckle and pumpkin rice are only prepared in limited quantities each day and are best preordered.
- Clams, mussels, and lobster knuckles arrived in a purée of cauliflower with drops of beet and parsley juice and light curry.
- Her recipe for an olio required ‘a fowl, a couple of partridges, a piece of a leg of mutton, a knuckle of veal, and a few rump steaks; also a piece of good streaked bacon or ham’.
- There are also culinary records indicating its use for pickled pigs feet, breaded veal knuckles, and sweet breads.
- I'm still not sure what ‘capilutes of lamb’ are, but can vouch for the pork knuckle which one of my companions ordered.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.