In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
also koala bear
- Well the koala is an Australian icon when it comes to tourism.
- Thousands of animals, including kangaroos, koalas, wombats and reptiles, are dead.
- Thousands of animals were killed, including tigers, lions, elephants, camels, and koalas.
- Female koalas give birth to a single offspring every two years.
- More than 20 Eucalyptus species provide sustenance for koalas, but in any given region, the marsupials eat only a few species.
- In 1997 I participated in a study of the contribution of koalas to the Australian tourism industry.
- Bush fires are terrorising Australia's cuddly national icon, the koala.
- One approach worthy of serious consideration would be to charge a fee for visitors to Kangaroo Island to hunt koalas.
- Dale is from Australia and captivated his audience with stories of crocodiles and koalas.
- Like their koala cousins, wombats have a hardened layer over the muscles of their rump; a very hardened layer.
- In Sydney, ice sculptures of kangaroos and koalas melted during a protest by green groups over Australia's refusal to ratify the pact.
- The leaflet includes hints on how to find koalas, directions to the Koala Care and Research Centre, and how to contact Friends of the Koala.
- I was surrounded by at least a dozen baby kangaroos, wallabies, or koalas all my life.
- For weeks now Friends of the Koalas has been responding to numerous calls regarding koalas in potentially dangerous locations.
- Certainly sloths in South America and koalas in Austrailia wouldn't have survived the trip?
- This year's Olympic Games turned the world's eye to the country of koalas and kangaroos.
- Amateur fossil hunters have helped to uncover the oldest known ancestor to kangaroos, koalas, possums, and wombats.
- Becky fulfilled another ambition to cuddle a koala at Australia Zoo, home of Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin.
- Further, koalas have an unusually low metabolic rate, which also reduces their need for food.
- Wildlife officials estimate thousands of native animals, including koalas, have been killed or injured in the fires.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.