In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- For kosher meat, Kashrut law stipulates that all meat must be consumed within 72 hours of slaughter.
- Having placed their beliefs and trust in the national union, Jewish students expected, as promised, their religious requirements of kosher food to be met.
- Or, scrub the pot with half a lemon sprinkled with kosher salt, and rinse thoroughly.
- Being hungry, I stopped at the cafeteria and asked if they had kosher food.
- Paul and James soon came into conflict as Paul gradually dropped the basic Jewish ceremonies and rituals, such as the eating of kosher foods and the circumcision.
- No less a part of Jewish tradition than kosher food or circumcision, faith in the coming of the Messiah is a central pillar of Judaism.
- But my mother was worried about how she would feed and care for four kids who could eat only kosher food.
- Then he added it to a bowl with cayenne pepper, kosher salt, and brown sugar.
- KosherPets was founded by a Florida couple who started feeding kosher meat to their dog for health reasons.
- They visit the kitchens to certify that the food is kosher, that is, cooked in accordance with Jewish law.
- Animals killed for Muslim halal and Jewish kosher meat are exempt from the rule that ensures all animals are stunned before being slaughtered.
- Now, thank God, we have two beautiful Jewish children attending Jewish day school, keep Shabbat and have a kosher kitchen.
- Since customers would normally assume the meat is kosher, the defect must be revealed to all customers, even non-Jewish ones, to avoid misleading them.
- The soldier related that he was assigned to a remote base where there were no Jewish soldiers, no religious services, no kosher food and where it was impossible to keep Shabbat or any mitzvah at all.
- Sara Goldstein, of Long Island, New York, has the added requirement of finding kosher foods suitable for her Weight Watchers diet.
- That's when you combine kosher salt, brown sugar, juniper berries, and a lot of water.
- ‘Our wedding meal was the first kosher food we ever ate,’ recalled Sarah years later.
- An American film crew, with Jewish producers, ‘just happened’ to be in post-production at the time, and they insisted on kosher food.
- The Army lost all the kosher food I'd brought with me, and my wife had to work hard back in the States just to make sure I was fed.
- The center, which prepares kosher food for needy Jews, occupies the ground floor of a five-story residential building.
2coloquial(genuine, legitimate)legítimolegal coloquial
- I know this isn't kosher, this isn't how you're supposed to read books!
- Despite its widespread popularity among Florida's politicians, the bond cap statute was not entirely kosher from a constitutional point of view.
- I've talked to real witch hunters, kosher ones, who spent years and years going through real witchcraft trial evidence in France to see what the real witches were like but a lot of them were male.
- Yet I had always felt something wasn't quite kosher.
- ‘I recognised from the beginning that it wasn't kosher,’ she told the inspectors.
- Something else about his movements wasn't kosher.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.