In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- It is situated in the intricate labyrinth of the Niah Caves.
- The lanes and alleys of the Marrakech medina twist and turn through a labyrinth where excitement and mystery await you around every corner.
- And of course, there is considerably more concerning the labyrinths of the Cathedrals of Northern France.
- Ariadne is this character in Greek myth who accompanies Theseus on his dangerous expedition to the heart of the labyrinth to kill the dreaded Minotaur.
- The labyrinth has since ancient times been associated with the legend of the Minotaur, the monster half-man half-bull which dwelt in the heart of a labyrinth on the island of Crete.
- Artress led the effort to reintroduce the labyrinth into the world as a spiritual tool.
- But they say that the inhabitants on Prangli do not know of any labyrinths on their island.
- The original center piece has been removed and other areas of the labyrinth have been restored.
- Theseus killing the Minotaur in the labyrinth of Crete, and labyrinths in general, were favorite subjects for church pavements, especially among the Gauls.
- Macerata was built on a hill with fortress-like walls and internal streets as confusing as a labyrinth, and today it still has many of those outer walls intact.
- Within lies a modern labyrinth arranged around the physical remains of ancient Roman town houses, together with more conventional exhibition spaces.
- He seemed to know the labyrinth by instinct, only bothering with a lamp when the others began to stumble in the dusk.
- There is only one way to get in and one way to get out, which are directly opposite of each other if you were to remove the tall walls of stone creating the confusing labyrinth.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.