In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- He patted his chest where the medallion was hidden beneath his white lace-up shirt.
- I have a great pair of brown lace-up shoes, but I just don't know what to wear them with.
- Taking off the lid, he brought out a pair of the grimmest black lace-up school shoes I had ever seen in my life.
- From the start, she dressed me in overalls and lace-up shoes.
- Her shoes, rather fancy lace-up boots with moderate heels, clanked loudly as she ran up.
- She had small, white lace-up sandals and a dark blue tie in her hair.
- She held up a skirt, a loose blouse, and a vest-like object, as well as a pair of lace-up boots.
- The lace-up corset, which was easily laced alone, made a woman's job at dressing easier for she wouldn't need any help lacing up the corset.
- She pulled on a pair of black lace-up ankle boots that gave her two or three inches of height.
- I think the answer lies in tweed jackets and lace-up boots.
- They wore ruby-coloured silk dresses, with lace-up backs, and carried hand-tied bouquets of cream roses.
- It has Victorian lace-up knee boots for £375, which sounds expensive, but you do get an exact fit, and you can choose the colour, leather and heel height.
- Choose lace-up shoes instead of slip-ons, and keep the laces tied.
- It is also worth mentioning that Cheney was wearing hiking boots - thick, brown, lace-up ones.
- Her gray wool dress came to her ankles, which were encased in tall lace-up black shoes.
- He was wearing a pair of those Prada calf-high, lace-up, black leather boots.
- That said, slip into style with this pair of brown leather lace-up shoes from Camper.
- The man was wearing a salmon pink shirt, blue-green vest, a dark suit jacket, grey Levi jeans and black lace-up shoes.
- He stared at her lace-up boots and followed the black, leather-clad body upwards with his eyes.
- One of the most popular looks of the season is the lace-up ankle boot.
1(shoe) zapato acordonado masculino(boot) bota acordonada femenino
- Barney's are charging $640 for these platform lace-ups by Fendi.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.