In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Before the death of the late Queen, a meeting was held at the Mansion House, York, under the presidency of the Lady Mayoress, when it was resolved to memorialise her Majesty Queen Victoria to use her influence.
- Bradford Cathedral was packed with councillors and council officials, as well as the Lord Mayor, Lady Mayoress, the Deputy Lord Mayor, Councillor Mrs Joan Lightband, and her husband, and the three assistant Lord Mayors.
- ‘Another curiosity of the Mansion House is a staff presented to the Lady Mayoress by the Sheriff on the occasion of her holding her first reception,’ he said.
- Edith Waterhouse celebrated her 100th birthday on Tuesday with family, friends and the Lord Mayor and Lady Mayoress at a special party at the Oaks Resource Centre.
- Mrs Tomlinson and her brother were greeted by Lord Mayor and Lady Mayoress of Leeds, Coun Bryan and Mrs Celine North, who hosted a civic reception for them.
- The Lord Mayor and Lady Mayoress, the Sheriff and his wife, the president of the Christmas Dinner Fund and several aldermen and their wives had indicated that they would also be present.
- The Liberal Democrats are confident of overturning Labour's 42-seat majority and are fielding a host of young candidates, including Helen Jones - who is currently the Lady Mayoress of Manchester.
- The Lady Mayoress, Kathleen Gibson, the Lord Mayor's daughter from his first marriage, attended the wedding, which ended with a reception at the Mansion House yesterday evening.
- Speaking for himself and the Lady Mayoress, the Lord Mayor paid tribute to those who gave time, money and sponsorship to make the Millennium Ball, held at York Racecourse, such a success.
- He extended thanks, on behalf of his wife - the Lady Mayoress - and himself, for the warm welcome shown to them since their arrival.
- The Lord Mayor of Bradford, Councillor Richard Wightman, and the Lady Mayoress, Elizabeth Wightman, also attended.
- May I also take this opportunity to extend my best wishes to you and the Lady Mayoress for an eventful year and a prosperous future.
- In August 1998 a civic reception, attended by The Lord Mayor, Lady Mayoress and other civic dignitaries, was held at Cartwright Hall to celebrate the opening of a Shipley Glen Exhibition.
- Then eager participants - including the Lord Mayor and Lady Mayoress - crowded onto the floor to be guided through some simple country dances.
- He was joined by the Lord Mayor of Manchester Audrey Jones and her Lady Mayoress, daughter Helen Jones.
- The Manchester In Bloom findings were announced at a ceremony attended by the Lord Mayor and Lady Mayoress.
- The Lord Mayor of Bradford, Alderman John Shee, and the Lady Mayoress, Miss Mary Shee, attended the fiftieth annual treat for the disabled at Eastbrook Hall, Bradford, yesterday.
- The Lord Mayor and Lady Mayoress said it was one of the best events they've been to.
- Pictured getting in the mood for the appeal are, from left, the Lord Mayor and Lady Mayoress, Mr Burtoft, Mr Fowler, and Kamran Saddique of the Roof of Africa project.
- The standard of the RNCA was laid up with due ceremony at St Augustine's Church, Birmingham, in the presence of the Lord Mayor and Lady Mayoress of the city.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.