In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(table, standard etc)lámpara femeninoelectric/gas/oil lamp — lámpara eléctrica/de gas/de aceite
- miner's lamp — linterna de minero
- before noun lamp bracket — apliqué
- lamp holder — portalámparas
- The bulb in the shell-shaped lamp on the wall flickered like a strobe light and painted irregular shadows on the walls.
- Now they were in a small corridor, dimly lit by burning lamps.
- Without heating or electricity, they cook on butane stoves, warm themselves with paraffin heaters and use candles and lamps for lighting.
- As it gets dark, behind the windows partly blocked by sandbags, they light a paraffin lamp.
- Attendants scurried about the room lighting lamps and candles.
- His father turned on a small lamp with a rose-colored shade, which cast a dull light across a wide bed, spread with a plum satin coverlet.
- Neon lights decorated official buildings and literally hundreds of oil-lit earthen lamps covered balconies and ramparts, stairs and yards of homes.
- The living room was just as I remembered it, with a single lamp covered with a stained glass shade illuminating the entire room.
- You should also consider compact fluorescent lamps for areas where lights are on for hours at a time.
- There were no street lights in those days, merely gas lamps which were lit manually sometimes well after darkness had fallen.
- Ghost switched her lamp off and they both went to sleep.
- Several years ago I found a store just three miles away that sold only lamps and lamp shades.
- The color balance will be natural in the areas lit by daylight but have a warm glow in areas lit by the lamp and candles.
- There were beads hanging in all the doorways and coloured light bulbs in all the lamps and sockets.
- I switched on my bedside lamp and looked at the alarm clock.
- He cooks by heating pans over a coal fire, while dozens of candles and a paraffin lamp provide him with light.
- You may want spotlights, mood lighting from lamps or feature lighting for your dining table and sofa.
- Yawning, I pad over to my desk and switch on the lamp.
- There is also a variety of gas lights and lamps, which are especially good to have at home during the storm season when blackouts can occur anytime.
- A guard came in, lighting the candles and lamps on the table, then the torches on the walls.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.