In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1pie de lámpara masculino
- In addition, the council also provided Christmas greeting banners hanging from lamp standards in North Street and Cavendish Street.
- Now all that remains is to place motorway lamp standards behind barriers - normal safety practice elsewhere.
- The councillors agreed to assist with the provision of a further six ornamental lamp standards in Attymass.
- On some stretches of the new M1, unprotected lamp standards are beside the carriageways.
- The carriages shown in that picture are a little fanciful, and the concrete building and the lamp standard, bearing a strip lighting tube, are quite out-of-place!
- The four men had been racing in three cars along Cambie Road when one of them lost control of his BMW and drove it into a lamp standard.
- Eight new lamp standards are to be set up along a remote section of Shann Lane, high above Keighley town centre.
- An articulated lorry crossed the central reservation of the dual carriageway and collided with a lorry travelling in the opposite direction before hitting a lamp standard.
- The rewards of well maintained ironwork are obvious, and beautiful balconies, railings or lamp standards can add enormously to the overall visual quality of a building, whatever its age.
- The foundries supplied all sorts of ironworks, mostly for the railways: everything from bridges to lamp standards.
- Then he begins to notice the wrought-iron dolphins on lamp standards along the Embankment, the wrought-iron camels acting as bench supports.
- Within 24 hours, the broken lamp standard was removed and a new one erected.
- However, the city changed its lane policy to incorporate a more country feel with planted grass strips and no lamp standards.
- Incidentally, could someone explain why the eminently simple system of numbering each lamp standard seems to have been abandoned?
- As mentioned last year, the fine lamp standards and the absence of overhead wires in the central area has made an enormous visual improvement.
- We can consider the sitting and design of the pole, but since it is very little different from a lamp standard there were no grounds to turn it down.
- Early morning shoppers and office workers had remarkable escapes as the bus shot onto the pavement, narrowly missing an electric lamp standard.
- The vehicle struck a lamp standard on the south side of the road and rolled.
- In Germany the streets have the lamp standards numbered and, as Sarah says, on the odd days you park on the odd side and so on.
- The baskets, which had been erected by the local Tidy Towns committee, were removed from the lamp standards in the early hours of Saturday night / Sunday morning last.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.