In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- With a large population of landless agricultural workers, the pressure on land is enormous.
- Give land to the landless, by all means, but do it in a manner that is fair to all.
- More than 80 percent of the voters in the constituency are landless peasants or poor farmers.
- The rural poor, especially landless labourers will take a hit five ways, at least.
- The SEP advocates that state land be made available to all landless farmers, regardless of their ethnicity.
- The number of landless labourers and cottagers soared.
- The conditions of the landless peasants have become miserable.
- While 54 per cent of Brazil's farmland lies idle, millions of landless peasants struggle to survive.
- Migration to the cities is continuous, with landless peasants supplying low-cost labour for industry.
- Lastly, let us come to the small and marginal farmer, landless labourer and the urban poor.
- Debt-driven small farmers and landless workers have left this district in larger numbers this season.
- When I was working with landless peasants in Brazil, there was an occupation of land that we accompanied.
- There were government car loan scandals and shameless grabbing of land meant for the landless by officials.
- Many landless farmers in Bangladesh come to Dhaka after a flood or a famine hits their villages.
- They gained support from the Indians and landless peasants by promising to end the abuses committed by landowners.
- It is all too frequent to hear stories of landless peasants being lured to remote farms with promises of work only to find themselves caught in a web of enforced work and debt.
- Impoverished, landless peasants make up a large part of the population.
- Over one million landless peasants are fighting for land rights and against a military takeover in the largest province of Punjab.
- It is possible to redistribute land to the landless without setting the country on fire.
- Some small farmers and landless peasants have received plots of land, but much of it has gone to wealthy government supporters.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.