In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The Diploma in Horticulture will lead to rewarding careers in a wide range of areas including landscape gardening, nursery stock production, vegetable and fruit production and green-keeping, he added…
- The movement and the contrast of light and shade are akin to the effects ‘Capability’ Brown was achieving at the same time in the new art of landscape gardening.
- Gabelhouse's interests outside of the martial arts or business include mountaineering, bonsai cultivation, fishing and fly tying, oil painting, landscape gardening, writing and watching his 21 year old daughter play rugby.
- For the analogy with art, or the art of landscape gardening, which is adumbrated here is clearly one that cannot be worked through straightforwardly.
- Eyton's approaches to landscape gardening and painting are the same: ‘It's good to do a bit at a time’.
- Two chapters are devoted to Tiffany's houses and landscape gardening.
- English versus Continental riding practice bears comparison with differences between English and Continental taste in landscape gardening, as seen from the English side.
- But by speaking of himself as if he were a bay-window angled to catch the sun, he allows me to stare off comfortably into the middle distance as if we were discussing town planning or landscape gardening.
- FAS leader, Emily Corrigan, presented a report on the training programme for its participants which included childcare, tile laying, first-aid, computer training and landscape gardening.
- In retirement I look forward to hedonistic self-indulgence in the form of reading whatever strikes my fancy, landscape gardening, golf, travel, research, and writing.
- The Horatian satires of a Pope, the Palladian designs of a Burlington, and the still essentially formal landscape gardening beloved of classicists such as William Kent belonged to the same world.
- The aim of the course, according to Teagasc, is to create new opportunities for young people not just in farming but in wider areas, such as landscape gardening and amenity horticulture.
- King, like McQuesten, was enamoured with landscape gardening (although of a much more natural type than what McQuesten preferred) and history, particularly his own.
- Applications include plant nurseries, landscape gardening, as a refrigerated vehicle, security (cash in transit), food and beverage, furniture removals and farming.
- Stained glass, so essential to Chartres splendour, is now more associated with craft than art; and landscape gardening seems a hobby or design practice rather than Art.
- In Book II of Critique of Judgement, Immanuel Kant discusses landscape gardening as a kind of concrete painting, an idea that is suggestive of installation art.
- It's a must for anybody interested in 17th and 18th - century Scottish social history - or landscape gardening.
- As for John Williams, he has put landscape gardening on hold.
- British writers (since Addison and Pope) had paved the way, inventing landscape gardening as a materialization of painting inside nature.
- He tried construction work, landscape gardening and selling cars.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.