In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Traffic was brought to a standstill for nearly an hour as a succession of people carrying lanterns in all shapes and sizes wound round the streets.
- Thanks to those who helped out during each station, in carrying the cross, carrying the lanterns, singing, reading, sowing etc.
- Here, away from the street lamps and lanterns of the towns, millions of stars burned blue in the firmament, as though a giant had taken handfuls of glittering sand and flung them into the sky.
- You come in here and sprinkle the place with powder and spray perfume and cover the light bulb with a paper lantern, and lo and behold the place has turned into Egypt and you are the Queen of the Nile!
- In terms of outdoor illumination, colonials who ventured out at night carried torches or lanterns.
- Maxine flicked on the electric lantern she was carrying, filling the corridor with a crisp, bluish light that was strange after the faint orange illumination of the torches.
- Immediately, the doors swung open, and a soldier hurried out, carrying a lit lantern.
- For the past month young and old had been constructing their own lanterns to carry in the procession and they included sparkling swans, stars and angels.
- The rescue effort fell to ‘dalesmen and doctors’ who set off at 7pm that night to navigate the punishing terrain carrying lanterns and stretchers.
- She took her duty to carry her lantern properly very seriously and her day was made when one of the volunteers on the Herb Festival stall complimented her personally.
- Our hosts provided us each with a candle-lit paper lantern to carry.
- Along the one-kilometer road, which is closed to traffic at night, Chinese paper lanterns provide dim illumination and an exotic, enticing aura.
- A torch procession will walk to the beach, with children carrying colourful lanterns made at workshops during the day, and on arrival at the beach there will be a large willow sculpture of a phoenix to be set on fire.
- Over a three-day period, candles, oil lamps, paper lanterns, and electric bulbs are lit to show how angels lit Buddha's return from heaven.
- The most interesting of the three was the lantern - it carries a curse: if its flame goes out while you pass, you will die within the year.
- Electric lanterns and flashlights have probably dimmed, then gone out.
- Organisers are also still looking for lanterneers to carry the feature lanterns.
- The moon helped out by shining brightly, while the 70 visitors carried torches and lanterns.
- Daniel was indeed awake, carrying the lit lantern and already halfway to the door when she burst in.
- And we took note that the decor followed the motif suggested by the restaurant's name, with matching electric lanterns at regular intervals hanging from the ceiling.
- The base of the octagonal lantern is adorned with female heads, an inner rope-twist molding, and an outer lambrequin fringe.
- The north wall opens up to the sunken courtyard to draw in cool air, and the tapered lanterns serve as thermal chimneys, with openable louvres to evacuate hot air.
- In the center of this Greek cross plan, he placed a rotunda surmounted by a low dome topped by a lantern.
- The hexagonal belfry contains six louvers with pointed arches and is crowned by an octagonal lantern and a copper dome.
- Daylight is admitted by a lantern and bounced off a textile covered funnel-shaped reflector built off the column.
- On top of each pyramid is a lantern that both brings light to the central stair of the pavilion and acts as a climate control mechanism.
- This forms a courtyard, a lantern and a lung for the adjacent interior spaces.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.