- Beyond my kitchen's open windows were scarlet geraniums on the balcony; a background of pines, hemlocks and larches in the garden; blue sky; bees buzzing lazily among the flowers.
- That's where ponderosa pine and western larch grow and where more people live.
- Eventually, dwarf mistletoe plants steal enough water, minerals, and nutrients to kill the ponderosa and lodgepole pines, Douglas-firs, western larches, and western hemlocks they attack.
- The following day the ground rose up beneath us, and the fir trees thinned to larches, and there was more Sun and open glades with grass for our horses to graze upon.
- And in fall, as the larches yellow and the willows redden, its colors are rich, poignant.