In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(map/model) a escala grande
- This is a large-scale map to start the listener off on explorations of their own.
- The only skills needed are to be able to read a large-scale map and to be able to recognise the common water birds likely to be seen along these rivers.
2(inquiry/search) en gran escala(inquiry/search) a gran escala
- It is not small food production, but large-scale factory farming, that presents a threat to our health.
- According to residents, police then began a provocative large-scale mobilisation in the area.
- Three large-scale agricultural schemes, launched by private companies, all failed.
- But the prospect of large-scale refugee camps has alarmed aid agencies.
- There was no large-scale ethnic conflict resulting in a nation wide blood bath.
- While the feared large-scale violence didn't happen, the vote was marred by bloodshed and unrest.
- China is undertaking a large-scale legal reform ranging from courts and lawyers to every perspective.
- Due to globalisation, closures and large-scale retrenchments are taking place.
- You mention that the breaking up of large-scale commercial agriculture is retrograde.
- God is thus responsible for bringing into being the large-scale structure of the universe.
- We have no clue as to any explanation for this large-scale national security situation.
- She was arrested last month after being accused of large-scale tax evasion.
- The massive increase in applications has prompted fears nationally that this election could see large-scale fraud.
- It has analyzed bribery by which areas of business are most ridden by large-scale illegal payoffs.
- Such a large-scale expansion would be bound to provoke opposition from countryside groups and local residents.
- The need for a large-scale united level of organizing has now emerged.
- A number of people were arrested after large-scale disorder broke out at a Bradford nightclub.
- The prospect of a large-scale boycott - or rejection - of the draft cannot be ignored.
- For illustration we can pick on just a few unexplained large-scale properties of the Universe.
- And conservationists believe a large-scale cull could be the best way to stop the water vole becoming extinct.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.