In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(solution/peace) duradero(peace/solution) perdurableto my lasting shame — para mi eterna vergüenza
- there is little of lasting value in her work — hay muy pocas cosas perdurables en su obra
- He was not able to establish a lasting dialogue with the United States at that point, however.
- Meanwhile, the promo established a lasting brand impression while creating anticipation for the show.
- The Democratic Party will not win elections or build a lasting majority solely by changing its rhetoric, nor will we win by adopting the other side's positions.
- None of the ICU successor groups was able to cement a lasting organizational framework.
- He can never hope for lasting human contacts: abiding love, enduring friendship.
- Is this the way it should be if you want to be able to have a lasting relationship with someone else?
- The council is hoping that by spending any grants from the Elevate programme wisely it will be able to make a lasting difference to a town where property prices have slumped and run down housing blights large areas.
- Their number has grown considerably; yet few have been able to leave a lasting impression on listeners.
- Time has come to awaken the sleeping giant in young people in Zambia because they have the potential to make a lasting impression and set precedents that future can benefit from.
- The shallow walls, deep reefs and colourful coral gardens that lie beyond its never-ending coastline leave a lasting impression on the most experienced of divers.
- Yet 93 percent of Americans still say they hope to form a lasting and happy union with one person.
- What a lasting impression this will leave on me.
- Twelve had undergone lasting personality change, leaving them hostile and mistrustful, socially withdrawn and plagued by feelings of emptiness and hopelessness.
- But this aspect of the decision, which seems less important than the justiciability question, may not establish a lasting precedent.
- Each day my son and I visit tiny traumatic experiences, unavoidable really, but I wonder if they make a lasting impression, deep enough to wipe away any growing feelings of affection.
- ‘If we are able to find a lasting solution, our city will be like heaven,’ he observes.
- So take your time and find your own inner and outer beauty, don't force it to change just to leave a lasting impression on people.
- These moments have important and lasting effects on individuals who are likely to see themselves and others in a more spontaneous and healthier way.
- A special word of thanks must go to all the youthful helpers who truly rose to the occasion and left a lasting impression in the minds and hearts of all concerned.
- ‘I saw fewer and fewer UK rock bands able to make a lasting impact on US audiences,’ he said.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.