In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(of person) período de inactividad masculino(of vehicle) período fuera de circulación masculino
2(in basketball)gancho masculino
- You'll have a number of tools at your disposal to rack up the points on the court, along with the usual jump shots, dunks and lay-ups.
- This year my team did really bad because they couldn't hit their jump shots, 3 pointers, lay-ups, or free throws.
- The main idea is to practice lay-ups at game speed.
- But they were on fire and we missed nine lay-ups which really hurt us.
- He never tried jump shots, just lay-ups and dunks.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.