In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Two evaluation trenches have produced remains of castle walls, one with a doorway and steps leading down to an undercroft, as well as quantities of medieval pottery, clear glass from leaded windows and floor tiles.
- The owners have stayed true to the property's origins by installing features such as pitched pine floorboards throughout the ground floor, period fireplaces and a stained glass leaded window in the entrance porch.
- While she was looking, something came with a tremendous crash against the window, and sent the leaded panes and the old wooden framework inward in shivers, the water pouring in after it.
- Dappled by the fluid, playful light reflected from the canal below the vast leaded windows, a uniformed maid deals with sheaves of dead foliage from a small copse of indoor plants.
- The lack of internal shutters suggests that there may have been leaded casement windows before the double-hung windows were installed.
- Today, rows of chipboard panels cover the smashed leaded glass windows at the 15 th-century building.
- He entered the council chamber and went to stand by a tall, leaded window.
- Tucked away in a courtyard of 15 th-century Cerne Abbey, in Dorset, Cerne Abbey Cottage is all leaded windows, mellow masonry and old-world loveliness.
- Wooden panels, leaded windows, tapestried sofas, a huge fireplace and ancient portraits including one of King Henry VIII who stayed here with Anne Boleyn adorning the the soaring loft-height walls.
- The firefighters pulled heavy stone tiles from both roofs and smashed leaded windows to reach the flames, but a partial collapse of the first floor of the burning cottage meant they were unable to get into the building.
- She was waiting in the library, ensconced at her desk in the puddle of sunlight that seeped through the leaded windowpanes.
- No one I know has streams of sunshine constantly flooding their kitchen through leaded windows, alighting on creamware jugs filled with marjoram and chervil.
- The house has been very well maintained by its owners and includes polished oak flooring, a solid pine kitchen, double glazed leaded windows and landscaped gardens.
- The gable is ‘enlivened with twisting colonnettes, leaded windows in arched openings, and quatrefoils.’
- But in a great cathedral church, with six foot thick walls, vaulted stone ceilings, and leaded roof - well, you would never have imagined that it could make such a noise.
- After that there is a glittering world of multiple bays, arched windows, leaded panes, finials and cresting to explore, but bear in mind that increased bespoke detail will radically alter a baseline price for a standard design.
- The reception room itself has square leaded panes with one panel of glass bearing the inscription ‘To Frank Fitzgerald 1822’.
- Almost all the casements have decorative patterns - some plain, some complicated - formed from the shapes of their leaded panes.
- The leaded windows are quite difficult to replace so we are going to have to put plain glass in for the time being.
- They had to actually get an axe to the beautiful leaded windows to get the water in.
2(fuel) con plomo
- He said because unleaded petrol was generally more expensive to produce than leaded fuel, Government would initially be required to provide incentives to the public in order to encourage consumption.
- Bulgaria's goal is to stop the production and use of leaded fuels by the beginning of 2004.
- European pollution regulations banned leaded petrol from general sale from the beginning of 2000.
- Personally, I thought it was a result of the abolition of leaded petrol but it is something of a pet theory of mine.
- MPs also set the excise duty on leaded petrol at 670 leva for 1000 litres and on unleaded petrol at 530 leva for 1000 litres.
- Despite the clearly established danger - particularly to children - leaded gasoline is still exported to eastern Europe and the global South.
- To this end, the council came out in support of efforts to phase out the use of leaded petrol in South Africa.
- The replacement fuel is for vehicles designed to use only leaded petrol.
- And leaded petrol is still used in a lot of developing countries, despite everything we know about its negative health effects.
- We have not managed to phase out the consumption of leaded petrol, and as a result, every year more than 4000 people fall victim to air pollution in Iran.
- The other exceptions to the rule are that motor sports for marine and cars and motorbikes are all permitted to use leaded petrol, because it's the high octane racing fuel that's used.
- So, this year I embark on a second year course, which covers things like the rise and fall of leaded petrol, and nuclear power.
- The company makes a positive contribution to sustainable environment management and there are plans to start producing ethanol, which will be used in the refining and production of leaded petrol.
- A recent study released by the Russian government proposes measures to reduce the production of leaded petrol.
- However, with the increasing phase-out of leaded petrol, levels of lead in children's blood are expected to rapidly decline.
- ‘The first and most important step is to make policies to provide better fuels before we look for alternative fuels,’ he said, suggesting the consumption of leaded gasoline be reduced.
- Because of these dangers, leaded petrol is being phased out.
- It wasn't until the end of 1995 that the Clean Air Act and corresponding EPA regulations finally prohibited leaded gasoline as a motor vehicle fuel.
- In some countries, such as Austria, only leaded petrol is available.
- Of these, 99.9 percent are powered by leaded gasoline and diesel fuel.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.