In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The book features rich, critical depictions of today's leading lights, and the luminaries fare worse than the nerds.
- The first legislative elections in December threw out the sitting candidates, notably the leading lights of the Fourth Republic, and savaged the left.
- Dutch painters like Anthony van Dyck and Peter Paul Rubens have been adopted as honorary Englishmen, partly because they painted so many portraits of our leading lights.
- Film lovers have been treated to two weeks of premieres, classics of the past and special guest appearances by leading lights of the film world.
- He is probably the leading light in the field of Australian improvised music.
- Everyone would have to admit that Graham proved himself a leading light on the field of play.
- A businessman who was a leading light in Manchester's city living boom has been disqualified from being a company director.
- He was an organic chemist, and this was his first exposure to a community of biologists, one that included many of the leading lights in the field.
- The four-hour-long mega event will feature the leading lights of Malayalam cinema, music and literature.
- The silver-haired diplomat was considered one of the leading lights of the UN and a potential candidate to become secretary general.
- These young stars will move on to be part of an album, which will be put together by leading lights from the music industry.
- He remains something of a performer himself, a leading light in the folk music movement who only succumbed to car ownership to transport his band to gigs.
- One of the leading lights in British jazz will be performing at the Platform in Morecambe on Saturday.
- It is a bold step, but one forced on players - at least the leading lights in hurling and football - by the dismissiveness of officialdom for years.
- It is certainly a good description of the views of the leading lights, including Franklin, Washington, Adams and Jefferson.
- Damage ensued and some local leading lights offered the sum of four pounds and a shilling for repairs.
- Your country is a leading light to be enjoyed by many and your people should be proud of their origin!
- In the last 15 years Scotland has been a leading light in the field of public art and public sculpture.
- He was fêted by bankers, politicians and the leading lights of the entertainment industry, who saw him as the Napoleon of the new economy.
- Here, but a handful of years later, their shift into one of the leading lights of modern jazz has been marked final.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.