In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1insecto hoja masculino
- Leaf insects, so-called because they resemble broad leaves, are grouped in the same order as stick insects, Phasmida, however only about 30 species of the total 3000 are leaf insects.
- The eggs of the leaf insect are normally just scattered on the ground and will hatch in the spring.
- Part of the challenge - and intrigue - in researching leaf insects is their rarity.
- The eggs of the spiny leaf insect are oval in shape and can be distinguished easily from the insect's droppings.
- In Australia, stick insects are found in most places, but leaf insects are only found in north Queensland.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.