In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Onions, garlic and leeks are found to have conflicting images throughout much of the world.
- Spoon the broth with the courgettes and leeks over the pasta, then arrange the fish on top.
- Mash the potatoes and beans together, then add the cabbage and leeks, onion seeds and plenty of pepper.
- Onions and leeks were cultivated as flavourings and wild garlic may have been used.
- Add the chicken, leeks carrots and peas, and slowly cook on the stove for about 15 minutes.
- Asparagus is a member of the lily family and closely related to onions and leeks.
- It is a member of the lily family and is closely related to onions and leeks despite being very different in both taste and appearance.
- You can use any vegetables - add leeks, carrots, potatoes or cauliflower if you like.
- It turned out to be almost a soup - a hearty bowl of potatoes, onions, leeks and chunks of fish swimming in a thick sauce.
- Slice the carrots, leeks and celery and add to the pot with the parsley stalks and bay leaves, salt and pepper.
- For example, potatoes, carrots, and leeks are all vegetables that can be cooked and eaten.
- I'm going to eat it with lentils, leeks, carrots and parsley sauce.
- To make the sauce, heat the remaining butter and oil and cook the leeks, garlic, salt and pepper for 5 minutes until soft.
- Add more oil to the pan and cook the onion, carrot, leeks and celery gently till soft.
- At home we grow sweetcorn, beans, tomatoes, carrots, lettuce, garlic and leeks.
- Horrified, he relates how he was given goat stuffed with onions, garlic, and leeks, swimming in fish sauce.
- Melt the butter in a large pan, add the chopped parsley and leeks, and cook gently for 5 minutes until soft.
- Dishes in olive oil included stuffed vine leaves, cabbage and artichokes, leeks and spinach boranaki.
- Add the onions, celery, leeks, and garlic and cook until the onions are translucent.
- Tip the leeks into the cauliflower and potato mixture and simmer for 5 minutes.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.