1.1(left side)izquierda femeninoon the left — a la izquierda
- it's the one on the left — es el/la de la izquierda
- to drive on the left — manejar por la izquierda
- keep (to the) left — mantenga su izquierda
- on / to the left of the president — a la izquierda del presidente
- on / to my/your left — a mi/tu izquierda
- from left to right — de izquierda a derecha
- To the left of this is Israel and the West Bank; to the right is the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan.
- To my left were a weight bench and a long horizontal bar that was built into the wall.
- There were only a few seats left, and one of them was the place directly to the left of him.
- Follow the path over a ladder stile that leads in front of the farmhouse then cross the stile to the left by a gate after the house.
- He was now lying to the side, but he had one arm to my left, and the other to my right.
- She looks at him, shakes her head, and moves slightly to the left so she's standing in front of the other bank of tills.
- He was sitting on my left while Tyson sat on my right holding a bag of ice on his black eye.
- They were in a small room with a table to the right side, and a small window to the left.
- There was another subdivision on her right side, and a good sized church on her left.
- This climbs gradually on to the high plateau north of Bynack Mor and swings gently to the left of the mountain.
- A truck passed them on the left going the opposite direction, with Jared at the wheel.
- She turned her eyes directly to the left when she saw a flicker of light from the barn.
- And it must have been coincidence that I happened to be walking on the left when he'd passed.
- Our road took us along this western side with the sandy belt on our left.
- There is a small bar area to the left as you walk inside and then the main dining room to the right.
- They claim she began to lose weight and leaned badly to the left when sitting in a chair.
- Because far more people look at departure boards than arrival boards, it is normal to put departures on the left.
- That's the museum building on the left and the reading room on the right.
- Swing left here and follow the path under pylons with the wall on the left.
- Cross over to the left hand side and the canal can be reached on the left via a series of wooden steps.
1.2(left turn)take the next left — tome la próxima a la izquierda
- to make / (British) take a left — girar / torcer / doblar a la izquierda
1.3(in boxing)(hand) izquierda femenino(blow) golpe de izquierda masculino(blow) izquierdazo masculino
2Políticathe left — la izquierda
- That a common approach on all the central questions was agreed is significant for the Left in Europe.
- In the broader picture, does this contention imply that America needs a credible party of the Left?
- From this point of view the change in the vote for the radical Left is extremely significant.
- We have built a great movement, whose social weight resonates well beyond the borders of the Left.
- The radical Left will need better representation than Ralph Nader at the next election.
- The cover, then as now, was a moral imperialist fantasy that appealed to parts of the Left.
- A key element in this process will be the capacity of the Argentinian Left to overcome its divisions.
- Critics of America are not, in any case, drawn exclusively from the pacifist Left.
- That experience in Scotland has directly led to the rebuilding of the Left in England.
- The Left has much in common with the radicals in the Green movement and wants to work with them.
- Serge clearly still saw himself as an active member of the anti-Stalinist Left.
- Radical feminism emerged from the Left and brought left-wing values of equality to women.
- The national question is not a problem for the Left; it is a problem for the British ruling class.
- It is against this background that a recomposition and realignment of the Left is taking place.
- This would be the time for the Left to unite and lay the basis for the party that Argentinian workers need.
- The book is littered with one-liners and anecdotes that will be familiar to activists on the Left.
- The parties of the Left and of the Right are in conflict because they both aim at supreme power.
- One is never enough because the Left is going to distort the facts just as much as the Right.
- The Left's place, in this conception, is clearly on the side of the victims of the imperial power.
- It is of course the Right who regard the Left as little more than empty slogans and iconography.
1(shoe/side/ear) izquierdotake the next left turn — tome la próxima calle (or el próximo desvío etc.) a la izquierda
- He placed the sharp edge against his left cheek, just below his eye but didn't make a cut.
- He has been left with slurred speech, and the left side of his body is weak after his brain was damaged.
- He still has difficulty using his left-hand side and has a splint on his left ankle.
- In his right hand he grasped his sheathed sword, and his left arm he held close to his body.
- Bandages covered the left side of his face and his left arm, which lay atop the blankets.
- I'm slowly coming to realise that the left side of my body is far superior to my right side.
- I reached out with my left arm, towards the window and gently rested my hand upon it.
- The patient was a sturdy young man with an abscess on the outer side of his left thigh.
- She was the victim of another stroke last March which affected the left side of her body and impaired her vision.
- He dismounted on the left side, and his leather boots gave a loud thud when they hit the ground.
- She could only extend her left arm for nine inches sideways from her body.
- He fell off of me, and as he got up I punched him square on the side of his left eye.
- I laugh at her, pull my clothes towards me and then glance at the Rolex adorning my left wrist.
- There is a cluster of small, neat circular wounds on both sides of his left knee.
- Take your right leg, bend it and pull the knee over towards the floor next to your left side.
- Another shot had hit her in the left knee, and this bullet also remained in her body.
- It veers slightly to one side, so I end up with my left shoulder aching after a while of constantly having to correct it.
- Language only grounds itself in the left side of the brain as we move towards adulthood.
- Whenever I am extremely stressed, I suffer from an infection on the side of my left foot.
- King testified that the angles of impact were on the left side of the body and the right side of the head.
2Políticaizquierdistade izquierdade izquierdas España
- Wills has been forced into adopting a more left posture to defend his parliamentary position.
- But there is also a much wider necessity to put forward a viable left alternative to Labour.
- The left union leaders should issue a call for action in our workplaces for peace on 1 May.
- Together, we could have seriously eroded New Labour's hegemony on the left vote.
- The existence of Respect has begun to create a left alternative to New Labour.
- Some people think that it's the time to create a left alternative outside the Labour Party.
- The best thing that could happen is left unity - for all the small left parties to unite.
- The crowd was solidly left and markedly anarchist and Marxist for the most part it seems.
- Instead we have seen the election of left leaders who have called openly for solidarity action.
- If a left platform had come out of the election with anything like that it would have been a sensation.
- It is clearly time for a realignment of left politics as there is no chance of reclaiming the Labour Party now.
- The solution which the left cabinets proposed for the railway question is emblematic of the new regime.
- In the absence of a real left alternative, the working class had to choose between one devil and another.
- A united left campaign to rebuild the union at school level is urgently needed.
- The Respect coalition has shown people are willing to vote for a left alternative.
- There has been no real fight against the Le Pen vote organised by the dominant left parties.
- The large left vote in the elections shows that it can still be an independent force in Indian politics.
- Now that this perspective has so obviously failed, the left groups have little to say.
- This is less than the combined share of the smaller left parties in the first round.
- The Green Party leadership appear to believe that the left vote is theirs by right.
1(look/turn) a la izquierda(look/turn) hacia la izquierdaleft, right! left, right! — ¡izquierda, derecha! ¡izquierda, derecha!
- The third incident was when I hit the side of a bus that was turning left near a blind corner.
- Continue to the main road, turn left and then right at a junction with the B6365.
- Silverdale train station can be reached by going left at this road junction.
- Follow the lane and at the next road junction bear left to another junction of lanes.
- Leave the ticket office and pass in front of the main house, turning left at the far side.