In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The fee for depositing a case or bag in Left Luggage is £5.50.
- We are pleased to find that the station does indeed have a left luggage facility where we can leave our suitcases overnight.
- He deposited his rucksack in left luggage, presumably intending to travel the next night.
- There will be no left luggage at the tournament, with fans forced to leave picnic hampers and bulky bags outside the grounds.
- A spokesman said that two small flasks containing traces of the poison were discovered in a left luggage depot at the mainline railway station which serves the south of France.
- A quick amble about the station revealed that the left luggage lockers were closed and sealed due to the security precautions, so I decided not to bother with trying to go for an amble whilst dragging my wheelie case and carrying my laptop.
- Victor finished up sleeping in left luggage at King's Cross for a while, one of the station staff having taken pity on him.
- I'm off to weigh the merits of excess baggage and storage at left luggage in Heathrow while I gad about Italy versus shipping a heap of stuff to myself by air freight.
- If anyone else is interested in staying, maybe you can suggest that they take only a backpack and leave any suitcases at the left luggage at a train station.
- Orkney Tourist Board has resumed its summer left luggage and tourist information service at the Kirkwall Bus Station in Great Western Road.
- The French Interior Ministry told Reuters that two small flasks containing traces of the poison were discovered in a left luggage depot at the Gare de Lyon railway station in Paris.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.