In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(without legs)(of person) sin piernas(of animal) sin patas
- Although the limb bud begins to develop in some legless species, cell death in the apical ridge starts at an early stage, followed by death of the cells in the bud itself, which generally results in the absence of limbs.
- Lance sat in his wheelchair next to his father, Christopher, who was already thinking to himself of the different ways he could help his blind, legless son.
- Not content to rob a poor blind musician and trash his instruments, they rough up a legless man for smokes.
- Some not-so-familiar creatures, like the legless, burrowing caecilians, are also amphibians.
- If you haven't seen the postscript, where a legless man stands on crutches at the edge of the woods and surveys the land he made free, then you should.
- A chorus line of dancing divas and knights, flatulent Frenchmen, killer rabbits and one legless knight are featured.
- In 1990, Poland's Lucy Krajewska made the first successful crossing by a legless person.
- Wrong found political meaning in her encounters with legless street hawkers and Versace-donning nightclub dandies.
- One of the most interesting to me is the legless Zarudnyi's worm lizard.
- This one has an unforgivable, unnecessary shot that resolves a mini-plot thread featuring a legless little girl.
- So why they need to cut down on the number of spaces I can use, in order to provide a second spot for the legless, I've no idea.
2Britanico coloquial(drunk)to be legless — estar borracho
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.