In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- One of the most enjoyable events in Bolivia is Carnival, the period preceding Lent.
- These aren't the words we would normally want to hear on the day before Lent begins.
- During Lent, a visiting priest will celebrate Mass and preach at the Vigil Mass on Saturday night.
- To this end he will be eating as little as possible from the beginning of Lent until Easter.
- Since one must reserve a room six months in advance, I made plans last fall to visit this Lent.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.