In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The region is rich in biodiversity and also home to about 50 tigers, hundreds of wild Indian elephants, Indian bison, leopards, and many types of birds.
- The list of the critically endangered include the black rhino and Siberian tiger and the Amur leopard of Asia.
- The dogs, Anatolian shepherds, live with the livestock on the range and protect them from cheetahs and leopards.
- In size and marking it looks very much like a leopard, although the jaguar is the much heavier animal, weighing up to 34 kg.
- I will do this with the passion of a wild animal, such as the leopard or cheetah, or perhaps the polar bear.
- For example, all cats - lions, tigers, cheetahs, leopards and housecats - belong to the family Felidae; all dogs belong to Canidae.
- Land mammals whose bones were excavated at Ogoloma include goats, cows, royal antelope, leopards, dogs, elephants, cats, and waterbuck.
- The British Big Cats Society says its 15-month survey indicates there is little doubt that big cats such as leopards, lynxes and pumas are roaming Britain.
- Long-term studies of solitary cats such as tigers, pumas, leopards, cheetahs and lynx have shown that male cubs usually leave the area where they were born and wander in search of a territory.
- It is also a refuge for elephants, buffaloes, zebras, cheetahs, leopards, lions, waterbucks and impalas and it contains the only protected indigenous forest remaining in the area.
- Of all the big cats, the leopard is the most resourceful.
- Their principal enemy is the leopard, but even leopards will avoid an encounter with the larger, adult males who are courageous and vicious adversaries.
- For instance, by choosing to hunt at a different place or time, coyotes avoid wolves, cheetahs avoid lions, and leopards avoid tigers.
- The easiest solution is to kill hyenas, jackals and leopards with poisoned carcasses.
- The flood plains of the Brahmaputra are a refuge for tigers, leopards, sloth bears, elephants and 75% of the world's population of great Indian one-horned rhinos.
- In addition to man, kudus are preyed upon by lions, leopards, and wild dogs.
- But a new survey suggests that the country may now be home to wild leopards, pumas, and other big cats.
- I have been filming for 14 years now, working with hyenas, leopards, and jackals.
- The result was the adoption of husbandry practices that allowed populations of elephants, zebras, giraffes, and antelope to flourish, serving as food to leopards, hyenas, and wild dogs.
- Lions and other large predators like hyenas and leopards are killed by livestock owners who have no patience for the carnivores' appetite for cows, sheep, and goats.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.