In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(talent/amount/artist) menorto a lesser extent / degree — en menor grado
- a lesser man than him would have given up the struggle — un hombre de menos valía hubiera abandonado la lucha
- we lesser mortals — los simples mortales como nosotros
- Perhaps lesser mortals in this field should wait for the hearings?
- Instead, it's how they deal with the stuff that would sink a far lesser talent.
- He showed no signs of jet lag, again something lesser mortals complain of.
2Geografía Zoologíamenorthe Lesser Antilles — las Antillas menores
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.