In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(to prevent)no sea quehide, lest they discover you — escóndete, no sea que / no vaya a ser que te descubran
- lest we forget — para que no olvidemos
- Those in attendance are asked not to look directly at the panelists, lest you disturb the mood.
- They are sent to sleep on the streets at night, lest they disturb the mother's business.
- They usually prefer to keep their goals as vague as possible lest it count against them at the next election.
- As to this it is necessary to avoid misapprehension lest the protection be too limited.
2(in case)lest he be a spy — por si acaso fuera un espía
- we fear lest she discover our secret — tememos que vaya a descubrir nuestro secreto
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.