In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- I agree that we should be striving to equalise level of provision, but let's bring it up, not down.
- For those of us with limited knowledge of the game, let's put it in context.
- First up, let's establish the fact that there is absolutely nothing wrong with being a quitter.
- I've probably overdosed you on the slushy stuff, so let's talk about boxing instead.
- There's a bit of a welcoming committee on the tarmac so let's go over and see who's here.
- Now, let's get back to the issue of the referendum being passed by such a narrow margin.
- If they want to make a statement about it by not playing there, then let's drop the matter.
- So come on you apathetic lot, let's hear your feeble excuses for staying away.
- However, let's hope we never have to decide, as four Majors is definitely enough.
- Most endings can also be seen as a new beginning so let's keep our fingers crossed.
- It's a long story, but let's just say he's learned not to bite the hand that feeds him.
- All that fighting is in the past, so let's get real and live in the present and not dwell on facts which get in the way of the action.
- If politicians really want to stop terror then let's leave out the macho tough talk and get down to business.
- We have been told if we don't like the plans they won't go ahead, but let's see.
- If not, let's all hope that a rising stock market will not conceal the next wave of potential disasters.
- So let's consider the safer subject of the media elsewhere, and see if there is anything we might learn.
- We have had gold medallists if not galore, then aplenty, so let's consult them.
- In that case, let's use the laws of the land and fine the horse owners every time their horses mess the streets.
- In this game of musical chairs, let's try and make sure everyone gets a seat.
- I can think of many worthwhile areas where this money could be spent, so let's not trivialise it.
- let us
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.