In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The let-off allowed the Cappielow troops to re-group and hit back before the break.
- This would not necessarily be a bad thing if the so-called alternatives to prison were effective, but most of the people to whom they are applied regard them as soft options at best, and complete let-offs at worst.
- Aberdeen's new French striker received the daddy of all let-offs.
- Suddenly Hearts were level and, despite a let-off when Ross wriggled clear of the defence to poke a weak shot wide, the last quarter of an hour was a spectacle from which the eyes could not be lifted.
- It was also full of incident, with a collection of yellow cards, two straight reds, several scuffles and a couple of let-offs for rash tackles.
- However, two let-offs quickly followed, first when a rare John McGreal mistake sent Will Hoskins clear only for Brian Jensen to make a smart save.
- Those let-offs inspired the champions and a gap of ten points was established entering the final quarter.
- Buoyed by the let-off, Swinford punished their opponents emphatically.
- Sunderland took advantage of the let-off and went ahead in the 76th minute through Phillips.
- Leos took advantage of the let-off to score a converted try from a midfield move.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.