In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- At baseline, levels of circulating leucocytes and vascular cell adhesion molecules were elevated in the sickle cell mice.
- This was due to increases in both polymorphonuclear leukocytes and macrophages.
- The myeloid lineage gives rise to the rest of the white blood cells or leukocytes, which all derive from the bone marrow in adults.
- For all these cases, hepatocytes were more immunoreactive than endothelial cells and leukocytes.
- Necrotic tissue, blood vessels, and leukocytes were excluded from the quantification process.
- In some areas, polymorphonuclear leukocytes and eosinophils were intermingled with the small lymphocytes.
- Ehrlich had made a clear distinction between acidophil and basophil leukocytes.
- Finally, there were other techniques for separating red blood cells from leucocytes.
- White blood cells (also called leukocytes or WBCs) help the body fight infections.
- Lymphocytes and granular leucocytes are also found in the stroma.
- This shows an infiltration of polymorphonuclear leukocytes with foci of necrosis, thrombosis, and hemorrhage.
- White blood cells or leucocytes are complete cells because they contain a nucleus and other vital organelles.
- Immune cells or leukocytes circulate continuously from the blood, into various organs, and back into the blood.
- Many of these are inflammatory cells, such as leukocytes and macrophages.
- Mononuclear leukocytes consist of monocytes and lymphocytes.
- The injured or ruptured cells attract neutrophil leukocytes and activate alveolar macrophages, causing inflammation in the lung.
- Reduction of leucocytes in red blood cell concentrates by filtration results in less alloimmunisation in patients receiving transfusions and transplants
- The epithelium covering the tonsils is extensively infiltrated by lymphocytes, plasma cells, and polymorphonuclear leucocytes.
- It also stimulates the production and activity of polymorphonuclear leukocytes and promotes adhesion of immune cells to the endothelium.
- Some giant cells exhibited phagocytosis of mononuclear tumor cells and leukocytes such as lymphocytes and polymorphonuclear cells.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.