In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Do they allow people in low-lying neighborhoods where the old levees were breached to build again?
- Pumps would fail if the storm surge of up to 25 feet overwhelmed the city's levees.
- Engineers determined that the levees bordering the Mississippi River as it passes through the city were sufficient to withstand any surge produced by an SPH.
- A lot of folks are working hard to repair that levee.
- Everybody knew those levees were built to sustain a Category 2 at most.
- Water flowing from the damaged levee near Lake Pontchartrain could have equally catastrophic effects, only unfolding more slowly.
- The authorities began working frantically up the river, using whatever materials and means available to construct dykes, dams and levees.
- Hurricane Katrina put a boat upside down in a New Orleans resident's front yard after the protective levees broke.
- The Senate debated adding funds for fixing levees, but it was too late.
- The vice president, now in New Orleans, inspected flood damage and the damaged levees.
- Damaged levees have been repaired, and pumping of the remaining water continues.
- The storm overpowered levees protecting the region, producing floods 20 feet high.
- They were watching the TV news as the canal levee was breached again, flooding their neighbourhood anew.
- Now America has had to pay the price for ignoring loud warnings about the weakened levees of New Orleans.
- He and 15 neighbors were stranded at his house for two days after the city's levees broke.
- Sandbag by sandbag it's slow progress fixing the broken levees of New Orleans.
- The immediate storm surge didn't overtop the levees.
- Yet the marketplace remained relatively calm, appreciating that the authorities were apparently still operating on the dykes, dams and levees up the river.
- Construction of levees and embankments prevents the floodplain from performing this function and transfers the problem further downstream to areas which were not subject to flooding.
- Emergency workers are desperately trying to fix the broken levees in New Orleans tonight.
2EEUU(landing stage)atracadero masculino
- The men created a world of their own on the docks, levees, plantation landings, city quays, and steamboat decks of the Mississippi River economy.
- In other words, he was responsible for formal receptions - known as levees - and dinners.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.