- Young hares are called leverets in English until they are a year old.
- Gyrfalcons did not pluck most arctic hare leverets.
- The fear is that many young ground nesting birds, such as the curlew and grouse, and mammals like the mountain hare leverets, will have been killed and damage done to the whole biodiversity of the moor.
- Orphaned leverets may be left to die a lingering death from starvation.
- They nest in shallow depressions in the tundra, and broods of two to eight leverets (four or five is typical) are born in late June and are fully grown by early September.
- Because the leverets (young rabbits) are active at birth, elaborate nests are usually not built.