In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- A life ring secured to a line was thrown to the survivor and he was pulled to the rescue aircraft.
- In a timid voice, Jonah inquired if there were not lifeboats or life rings or other flotation devices that might be thrown off the boat with whomever was first to go.
- He got onto the barge and put down a line into the water, then a life ring, but he didn't grab either of them.
- It is thought they threw them a life ring, to which they were clinging when they were rescued.
- Desperately clutching the fender of his boat, but unable to grab a life ring thrown by his daughter, he struggled to get him to the bank, but was eventually helped to do so by a passing jogger.
- We might have had to wait at least one hour for the most popular game in the park - sitting on a life ring and sliding down a steep, winding water chute.
- The next thing I remember was someone on another sponson throwing me a life ring, which landed about five feet from the hull of the ship.
- But with careful maneuvering the pilot was able to bring the port side close enough to the two rafts so a life ring tied to a line could be thrown to the survivors.
- She turned off the TV but held tightly to the remote, as if it would be the life ring that would ultimately decide whether she lived or died.
- A life ring flew through the air toward them, then landed with a slap in front of Jim.
- As a further precaution, have a life ring tied to a long line floating behind the boat.
- Shipmates on Endeavour threw life rings into the water.
- Other new features on the facility include the provision of life-support jackets for all crew members and additional life rings for use in case of emergencies.
- They were plucked from the river, clinging to one another and a life ring, by members of the Humber Rescue lifeboat.
- ‘We were out for one of our walks around the lake when I saw two of the life rings in the lake.’
- It didn't take us long to widen our repertoire, as we took turns being pulled behind the boat while hanging onto a life ring.
- Before going into the water they donned a life ring and then hand over hand pulled themselves across to our boat.
- If your boat is over 16 feet, you must also have a Type IV throw cushion or life ring.
- There are musical scores and mementoes of shows scattered everywhere, including a life ring from his ‘legendary failure’ Moby Dick.
- A crewcut, tanned man in a Naval Commander's uniform, clutching a clipboard stuffed with papers to his chest as if it were a life ring, snapped to attention in front of him.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.