In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(on ship)bote salvavidas masculino
- Her 14 crew took to the lifeboats; the ship spent a fortnight jammed on the rocks before sinking into a steep gully, stern in 3m and bow in just 6m.
- Will everybody get on deck and man the lifeboats?
- They repainted the ship's funnel and lifeboats, changed its name, then sailed to a rendezvous with a second tanker and transferred most of the cargo before getting clean away.
- On April the 9th, the men launched the lifeboats and headed for dry land for the first time in many months.
- She survived by hanging onto a rope on a capsized lifeboat for 19 hours.
- He apparently believes that if there are not enough lifeboats on a sinking ship, everyone should stand on deck and go down together.
- He said that somebody should get the orchestra to shut up, and that everybody should be on deck, manning the lifeboats.
- We found a lifeboat suspended 10 feet above the deck and bedded down under a tarpaulin.
- What other cause would there be to put people into lifeboats on an unsinkable ship?
- However as long as the ship had lifeboats on board it was fit to travel.
- Luckily, Kurt lowered the lifeboat and escaped the sinking vessel.
- Is it any wonder that Union membership is shrinking and Union Leaders are now jumping ship onto the lifeboats called Parliaments, State, Federal and Local?
- Nelson liked to salvage a few lifeboats from defeated French ships for this very purpose.
- Men jumped from the ship into lifeboats, overcrowding them to the point of capsizing.
- These were flat-bottomed craft with a shallow draft, and were lowered from the davits of larger troop-carrying merchantmen, like lifeboats.
- Well, when everyone said they were sorry, we searched the ship for a lifeboat… we found one!
- The order was given to abandon ship and the lifeboats were launched.
- Fourteen survived in lifeboats before being rescued five days later.
- Despite removing four lifeboats from the deck, owners believe that the ship can still be towed from the port, possibly to Belfast for dismantling.
- The suddenness of the attack left no time to launch lifeboats, so the 900 sailors who escaped the sinking ship found themselves floating in life jackets.
2(shore-based)lancha de salvamento femenino(crew/station) de salvamento marítimo
- Humber Coastguard scrambled a rescue helicopter to the scene and requested the launch of the Humber lifeboat.
- The lifeboat towed the stricken vessel into Stromness, arriving just before midnight.
- Some crews have received the new equipment and are able to launch their lifeboats with all the information they need for a rescue beamed directly to them by their operational headquarters.
- Both Whitby's lifeboats had to be launched to rescue five canoeists who put out to sea in a force nine gale on Saturday.
- Both the all-weather and inshore lifeboats were launched from Fenit.
- Two hovercraft, two rescue helicopters and three lifeboats rushed to the scene fearing a repeat of the tragedy which earlier last year claimed the lives of 21 people.
- His rescue mission was also said to be the inspiration for setting up the first local lifeboat in the area.
- The vessels and the 2,500 men and women aboard were pounded by 40-foot breaking waves and rescue helicopters and lifeboats struggled to save them.
- An inshore lifeboat capsized during a rescue attempt and three crew members later required hospital treatment.
- All seven crew members were rescued by lifeboats from Hamble and Calshot before being transferred to waiting ambulances at Warsash.
- He will join other specially selected crewmen from lifeboats around the UK for the honour - representing the hundreds of other Scottish lifeboat crewmen.
- Six all-weather lifeboats, four helicopters, one fixed-wing aircraft and another 26 vessels joined the search in deteriorating conditions.
- On Sunday the lifeboat rescued a yacht which had run aground off Heir Island.
- The coast guard was alerted and the inshore lifeboat was sent out from Skegness.
- Once secure, the lifeboat slowly towed the vessel away from shore and out of danger.
- A new all-weather lifeboat launching berth has been officially opened.
- Clacton's lifeboats have been launched 32 times in the past three months, compared to 21 for the same time last year.
- Both the deep-sea and in-shore lifeboats were launched.
- Two lifeboats, a rescue helicopter, an RAF Hercules plane and two Navy war ships spent 30 hours scouring the seas and coast but his body was never found.
- The lifeboat was launched after Fife coastguards received a distress call from the grounded vessel.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.