In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Upon arriving in Sonoma, she lit upon the idea of launching a high-end home store where she could combine both her passions under one roof.
- Galvin is the best restaurant I have lit upon this year.
- He turned to go home; but even as he turned, his eye lit upon a figure behind a tree.
- In the search for a text, Elgar lit upon his mother's favourite poet, Longfellow.
- Kelly does repeat a few jokes, and maybe I lighted on these instances instead of the ones I recall.
- The sunlight struck upon my face and my eyes lit upon the white and sandy shores of France.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.