In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Remembering its roots as a Gilbert and Sullivan company, it mounts at least one of their popular light operas each season.
- Hanmer and Park had adapted many European light operas for Weinbergers and we have performed many of their works.
- Dance music, marches and parlor pieces for the piano and songs made up the bulk of publications but cantatas and light operas also found their way into print.
- Since 1935 the Village Light Opera Group has given the New York public high quality productions of rarely performed light operas, operettas and Broadway musicals.
- The Company now performs Gilbert and Sullivan, other traditional light operas and modern musicals in roughly equal proportions.
- Its Performing Arts Department is treating the community to one of the world's most popular light operas.
- The composer considers it his best achievement, and it is certainly in outline much more to be admired than the light operas that the American people are raving about today.
- As I explored the site I found an interview he had given on the difference between singing in musicals or light operas, and singing as himself on an album.
- Early works by Herve (aka Florimond Ronger) and Adolphe Adam are considered by scholars to be the first light operas or operettas, but their works have been mostly forgotten.
- This doubtless made a change from the general run of dance music of the Victorian era which was often adapted from the light operas of the time.
- Between 1809 and 1831 Sir Henry Bishop composed at least twenty light operas.
- This is the darkest of light operas and one that reveals its depths on the turntable, away from the distractions of staging.
- As is common in musicals and light operas, there are a couple of young men who win the hearts of their sweethearts, despite interference from ‘bad guys.’
- He is an author of many operas, light operas, songs, cantatas.
- It has acquired the rights to 12 Gilbert and Sullivan light operas for presentation on PBS in 1984.
- Their repertory included all the popular light operas of their day, but DeKoven's Robin Hood became the especial favorite, this opera receiving over a thousand performances at their hands.
- ‘Most civic light operas dream of having this much talent in one show,’ he said.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.