In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1año luz masculinoit's 4 light years from Earth — está a 4 años luz de la tierra
- If a star exploded a light year away, the increased cosmic ray intensity could have killed the animals by giving them all an intense dose of radiation.
- Neutrinos are ghostly particles that can travel through a light year of lead and they have no problem escaping directly from the core of a supernova.
- Superclusters are known with sizes as large as 300 million light years, containing as much as 10 solar masses of material.
- A light year is a convenient means of distance measurement because conventional means in miles or kilometers is so large as to thwart true appreciation.
- In theory there should be no intelligent species within a million light years the solar system.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.