In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1luciérnaga femeninobicho de luz masculino Río de la Plata
- I've thought that fire ants had killed off most of the lightning bugs like they have the horned toads.
- This is a rare phenomenon in which the lightning bugs in an area flash in unison.
- The favorite ‘hangouts’ of lightning bugs are east of the Rocky Mountains and away from city lights.
- My God, she wants to catch lightning bugs and I can't bend the rules for 15 minutes?
- Fireflies and lightning bugs are neither flies nor bugs, but beetles.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.