In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1liliácea femeninowhite lily — lirio blanco masculino
- It's shady, so we plant it with woodland, under-the-tree plants - ferns, hostas and lilies for colour.
- Daises, lilies, tulips, chrysanthemums, petunias, and hyacinths also blossomed.
- Nico and Jean will take us on a tour of their facilities showing us the expanse of daffodils, tulips, lilies and delphiniums.
- He approached a vase of flowers and pulled on the stem of the white lily.
- Autumn is the time to put in bulbs for early spring including snow-drops, daffodils, crocuses, lilies and bluebells.
- This is also the time to plant lilies, tulips and alliums for spring colour.
- Ruby red gerberas and even fragrant lilies and roses are abundant.
- Those who received potted lilies can plant the bulbs outside in an area with bright light or in morning sun and afternoon shade.
- They threw me flowers at curtain call tonight: tulips and lilies.
- Visitors to the garden will notice juniper, ash, walnut, mountain ash and beech trees as well as jasmine, honeysuckle, lilac, lilies and tulips.
- Your gaze rushes along the angel's body, down the outstretched arm, and along the stem of the lily he is offering the Virgin.
- The flowers grow closer together on the stem than do other lilies (making them perfect for use in large, flower-filled bouquets).
- As the tulips fade, the lilies take over, growing taller and taller to mask the dying foliage of the tulips.
- But what really made her smile was the short stem red rose on her pillow and a bunch of lilies and tulips on the table.
- There were daisies, roses, tulips, lilies, geraniums, sunflowers, wildflowers - all in certain patterns around the edges.
- The tulip is followed in popularity by the daffodil and other narcissi, the gladiolus, the lily and the crocus.
- The miracle of spring flowers such as tulips, daffodils, hyacinths and lilies is even more astounding when one realizes how they reach the bloom stage each year.
- Choose flowers with large heads like gerbera, lilies, orchids or sunflowers, add one stem per bottle and line them up on your mantelpiece for instant glamour.
- The front of the train was decked with seven sprays of white lilies tied with black ribbon, one for each decade of Mr Hartley's life.
- Occasionally religious symbols appear, such as a rose or lily, which in Christian mysticism indicate two streams of spiritual consciousness.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.