In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1Deportejuez de línea masculinolínea masculino(in soccer) juez de línea masculino(in soccer) linier masculino
- But as he gallops towards the Aussie goal with the ball at his feet, the linesman waves his flag.
- Gerrard's just been fouled making for the penalty area, but the referee and the linesman are having none of it.
- As the referee arrived for the final without umpires or linesmen, the game was played out with three recruited umpires and no linesmen at all as neither side provided one.
- Although the referee ruled that he had got the ball down, the linesman - who was further away - gave a double movement.
- Both referee Dunn and his linesman missed the contact and Henry was furious.
- He was offside, says the linesman, and for once in this tournament, the replay agrees.
- Soccer fans have long complained of shocking officiating by referees and linesmen, raising suspicions of match fixing.
- Drury went down under Muirhead's tackle from behind and after some frantic flag-waving from the linesman, the referee gave the penalty.
- Fifa must also ditch their policy of having referees and linesmen from all over the world officiating in the World Cup as some imagined nod to the democratization of the world game.
- Under advice from the linesman, the referee awards a free-kick to AC Milan about 40 yards out for no apparent reason.
- Just as expansion introduced the question of where the additional players were going to come from, the league's growth to 30 teams has added to the number of referees and linesmen needed.
- Penalties are converted to an honor system, as in golf, allowing the NHL to save money by firing all the referees and linesmen.
- The linesmen check the goal nets which are full of holes, much as you'd expect, and the teams huddle.
- Looking ahead at the coming quarter-final games, Blatter said linesmen should follow the ‘in doubt don't raise the flag’ rule.
- The linesman says the ball had earlier gone out of play, which is frankly tosh.
- Questions must be asked on Sunday about the constant interference by umpires and linesmen during the course of the game.
- I can understand how the referee didn't spot it, but the linesman must just have been asleep.
- Berbatov gets one foot inside the penalty area before losing the ball, and even the linesmen are beginning to take crafty peeks at their watches.
- The experienced official calmly walked over to his far side linesman and consulted him before pointing to the half-way line and sending the Dundee fans into raptures.
- The referee overruled the linesman and disallowed the goal leading to protests which halted the game for several minutes.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.