In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Here you come across some extremely large boulders covered in deadmen's fingers and anemones, interspersed with wolf fish, lobster, ling and conger eels.
- Try coley or ling to bulk out fish pies, or gurnard or rock turbot for roasting.
- Travelling several miles further out, you can fish above World War I ship-wrecks, including the Lusitania, around which there is a good chance of hooking a shark, ling or conger eel.
- Under boulders live other fish, including large ling and many codling, while above the kelp line pollack shoals can cloud the brightness on a sunny day.
- Huge conger, pollack, ling, cod and coalfish were regularly pulled up the steps to the old Angling Centre and weighed in front of big crowds of onlookers.
- Now begins the long, gradual descent over Spaunton Moor, hot and silent and tinder dry, patched bright purple with heather of the bell variety, the rest frosted with the lilac buds of the main crop of ling heather.
- Originally introduced from Esher Common, the native ling heathers have been added to in the last three years with advice on color from Gwynne.
- This would give a warm, dry and snug shelter for the pigs or poultry which some people would thatch using reeds or perhaps ling (heather).
- All of the 62 types of flowers, plants and shrubs used in the work, such as ling heather, bearberry, foxglove and gorse, come from County Mayo, which was hit particularly hard by the Famine.
- They walked at a wearisome pace across the trembling peat bog, knee deep in flowering ling, bog cotton and black slimy mud.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.