In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- If on a summer's stroll you see a giant creature or a lissome woman hanging from a tree, don't be alarmed.
- This week's stellar configurations incline you towards a refreshingly flexible frame of mind - a lissome, limbo-dancing attitude to the vicissitudes of daily existence.
- It was something more appealing than long-legged, lissome damsels setting the catwalk on fire.
- Tall and lissome damsels strutted onto the catwalk.
- The horses were idling around - how she loved to watch them their shiny coats, lissome bodies, the graceful tilt to their heads.
- I longed for its lissome grace to be blown by the wind into my body.
- Once a rather lissome belle of a teacher invoked in me a vivid fantasy that never leaves me to this day.
- And they very much like lissome blonde lovelies with a winning smile and statistics that are undeniably vital so long as we aren't talking about her game.
- A kindly old man takes him in and teaches him how to shoot a gun - a skill that will come in handy - then dies, leaving behind a lissome granddaughter, Alphonsine, with whom Georges has a torrid but meaningless affair.
- One may have wondered as the lissom ladies gracefully showcased the trendy jewellery.
- This explains some of the innocent ‘misunderstandings’ that occurred during my recent fact-finding tour of Bangkok; I thought those lissome lads just wanted to be my ‘friends.’
- Today she is as she was when we first met - shy, lissome, so slender a breeze could sway her, smiling; always smiling.
- Will King Richard III's evil flourish or will the lissome Prince Pippin claim the crown?
- Beads of sweat began to appear on Guy's forehead as he became more entangled in the lissome limbs of this human boa constrictor.
- Staggering out of the gym, I see lissome Linda heading to teach the aerobics class.
- I felt young and lissome in comparison, but I won't be seeing 39 again.
- Tall, and lissome with a flawless skin, she first headed for Harvard, then returned to do a stint at a law school in Bombay before joining her sister in Bollywood.
- She's tall, lissome and very pretty as well as being smart as the proverbial whip.
- Unfortunately, our world is infested by minds to whom lissome limbs only evoke dreams of amputation.
- And boy, the clothes did stick to the lissome bodies of the crowd on the ramp.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.