In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- At Curwen Studios, Cambridgeshire, they print a lithographic poster using methods Lautrec himself would have used.
- Not only are the prints themselves on display, but additional information has been included on the careful process of creating a successful lithographic print.
- I was so impressed with their work, I told them I would find them a lithographic printer.
- Their work encompasses a diverse mix of mediums and styles, from imposing colourful canvasses to intricately detailed lithographic prints.
- In that respect, it differs from most contemporary lithographic portraits of the violinist, which show him bust-length, his piercing gaze riveted on the viewer.
- The well-known study by Thomas Maguire, a lithographic print taken from life in 1849, was from the outset a commercial project.
- After a six-year apprenticeship with a firm of lithographic printers he moved to London in 1900.
- For your efforts you will also get a bonus of 23 modern lithographic prints by contemporary artists.
- Although medieval printers produced seasonal sheets and pictures, Christmas cards were a fruit of the industrial revolution especially after Aloys Senefelder perfected lithographic printing in 1796.
- The result is photographically reduced and printed on a lithographic zinc plate.
- The remainder of the exhibition comprised lithographic and intaglio prints, and artists' books made by invited high profile artists.
- The best-quality reproductions come from lithographic prints, which contain blocks of solid color.
- They had to compete with lithographic or photo-mechanical printing techniques and were therefore well executed - sometimes in deluxe printing with such lavish techniques like mica or embossing.
- The cells, which run on a methanol-water mixture, can be mass-produced using a lithographic process to ‘print’ the metal electrodes and catalysts onto a porous plastic film.
- It tells the story of Europe's exploration of Egypt, accompanied by over a thousand color reproductions of old lithographic prints.
- They signed up for two copies of the book and ordered an additional two hundred offprints of the lithographic view.
- In the mid-1870s, a French missionary and a Chinese priest went to France and brought advanced lithographic printing to Shanghai, setting up China's first lithographic press.
- With the Meiji period, Western lithographic or photo-mechanical printing techniques gradually replaced the old way of printing by carving woodblocks.
- In another, he reverentially rubbed loaves of bread across lithographic stones while creating a print depicting the pieta.
- Some hard copy materials, such as lithographic prints and oil paintings, can have many more degrees of freedom, however.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.