In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- A cingulutomy is a prefrontal lobotomy that severs certain functions between the two frontal hemispheres.
- Upon receipt of the promised champagne and chocolates I can recommend a friendly brain surgeon, skilled in pre-frontal lobotomies.
- Several were of a gruesome medical procedure, a prefrontal lobotomy.
- By the late 1950s, more than 30,000 patients had had lobotomies and the surgery was being used to ‘cure’ everything from mental retardation to homosexuality to criminal insanity.
- These were the days when doubts were being voiced about lobotomies and leucotomies and other simple little strokes of the specialist's knife.
- Later, a visiting neurosurgeon used the theater to perform lobotomies on patients who were scarcely aware of what was being done to them.
- It compares with a surgeon going into an operating theatre without knowing whether he is going to remove an appendix or perform a lobotomy; and who knows, if he gets really inspired, he may amputate the patient's left leg.
- The number of lobotomies, or leucotomies, fell dramatically after the 1950s, as drugs became available, especially for schizophrenia.
- In 1967, Freeman performed a lobotomy on one of his original patients in Berkeley, California.
- His lifelong guilt came from allowing his mother to authorize a lobotomy on his sister; twenty years later, he still regarded his mother with both reverence and resentment.
- There was, however, the far more brutal chance that he would be donated to the Experimental Surgery wing for a lobotomy.
- Neurosurgeons everywhere started to abandon lobotomy in favour of more humane methods of treatment.
- There were other types of lobotomy as well… as many varieties as there were imaginative neurosurgeons.
- It seems that in the 1930s, when Egas Moniz was doing the first lobotomies on humans, treating mental illness was urgent for some reason.
- Although we no longer burn mental patients at the stake or perform lobotomies, this new research demonstrates that our treatments for schizophrenia are still far from ideal.
- This operation, also called prefrontal leucotomy or standard lobotomy, was performed widely, and soon its beneficial as well as its detrimental effects became apparent.
- We have all soaked up enough of music's answer to general anaesthetic to have lobotomies performed quite painlessly.
- Little attention was paid to what happened to those subjected to lobotomies after surgery.
- A few months after performing his first lobotomy in 1936, Freeman presented the case to the annual meeting of the Southern Medical Association.
- The painter's younger sister, Jacqueline, who was physically and mentally handicapped had a lobotomy when she was a child and spent her life in a mental institution.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.